Go back to projects overview

Dutch Work Permits Explained

19 October 2023


4 min

Are you considering an exciting career move to the Netherlands, a country renowned for its innovation, culture, and stunning landscapes? As a Career Consultant, I understand the complexities that come with international job hunting and the eagerness to embark on a journey towards professional success. Today, I’m here to be your compass on this Dutch adventure, shedding light on the various work permits that can help make your dreams of working in the Netherlands a reality. 


👉 Who Needs a Dutch Work Permit?

EU, EEA, and Swiss Citizens: Citizens of European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), and Switzerland enjoy the privilege of free movement within these regions. They do not need a work permit to work in the Netherlands. However, some restrictions may apply for citizens of newly joined EU countries.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens: If you are not a citizen of an EU, EEA, or Swiss country, you typically need a work permit to work in the Netherlands. The Netherlands has various types of work permits depending on the nature of your work and your specific situation.


Types of Permits:

🎓 Highly Skilled Migrant Residence Permit: For those wielding specialised skills and education, this permit is a golden opportunity. While it demands a certain income level, it offers a fast-track route to your Dutch career.
💼 Intra-Corporate Transferee Residence Permit: If you’re part of a global company and are ready to transfer to a Dutch branch, this permit opens doors for you, whether you’re a trainee, manager, or specialist. It’s all about facilitating international business mobility.
🚀 Residence Permit for Essential Start-Up Personnel: The Dutch start-up scene is buzzing with creativity. Join as essential personnel, drive growth, and receive an employee participating interest. Your ideas matter!
🔍 Residence Permit for Researchers: The Netherlands values research and innovation. If you’re a researcher under Directive (EU) 2016/801, there’s a specific permit waiting for you, and it even accommodates grants.
🌐 Residence Permit European Blue Card: If you’re a highly educated professional and envision work spanning the EU, the European Blue Card is your ticket. It not only sets a salary benchmark but also streamlines working across the EU.


Residence Permit for Work in Paid Employment:

  • Single Permit (GVVA): The Single Permit combines residence and work permits, making it indispensable for most employees working in paid employment. From spiritual counsellors to art and culture professionals, this is your gateway to fair employment conditions.
  • Specialized Jobs: Some roles, like mass media correspondents or military personnel, have unique requirements, often involving a separate TWV work permit. These roles come with their own set of regulations.
    International Trade Regulation: International collaborations thrive. If you’re part of a project or joint venture, consider this permit for your Dutch stint, helping keep the wheels of global business turning.


Other Residence Permits for Work:

  • Trainees and Students: Work placements and gaining experience are paramount for learning. Special permits cater to students seeking hands-on education and work experience.
    Seasonal Labor: The Netherlands’ vibrant agricultural sector requires seasonal labor. If you’re ready for a temporary adventure, there’s a permit for you in the fields.
  • Cross-Border Service Providers: Business knows no borders. If you’re an EU/EEA/Swiss employee on a temporary assignment in the Netherlands, explore this permit, fostering international collaboration.
    Family First: In many cases, your family can share in your Dutch experience. Investigate the specific requirements according to your work permit.


Employing Foreign Students:

  • Nurturing Talent: If you’re an employer keen on hiring foreign students with study permits, ensure you secure a work permit (TWV) for them. Remember, there are hourly restrictions, especially during the academic year.
    Working During Asylum Permit Application:
  • Asylum Seekers at Work: Asylum permit holders have the right to work in the Netherlands. Even during the application process for a permanent or extended temporary asylum permit, you can continue to work legally.
    Remember, immigration rules can evolve, so staying informed is crucial. Consult the official Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) website for most recent information.


The Netherlands beckons with unparalleled career opportunities and a warm welcome for talents from around the globe. Your Dutch career journey is just a permit away, so embark on this exciting adventure and shape your future in the land of tulips, windmills, and innovation. Your Dutch dream awaits!


Source: our Talent Manager Nina Dutch Work Permits Explained

Cookie Consent Banner by Real Cookie Banner